Sunday, July 7, 2013

F n' Gs!

One of the many things I have learned in my time with Jules is to appreciate the joy of F' n' G's! For starters, it's kinda fun to feel like you're cursing when you aren't. More importantly, though, these Folded and Gathered previews of books allow the precocious blogger to get a jump start on the fall and winter preview. So, here goes...

Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me
source
This subtle exploration of parental incarceration is both powerful and authentic. Beaty's own personal experiences inspired the book, and the childhood innocence through which he writes is subtle and compelling. This is a book I may be wary of sharing with a large group, but could share with smaller segments of the class as part of a larger discussion of family structure, attachment, and separation.

Laika: Astronaut Dog
source
This playful take on historical fiction provides a colorful (perhaps a bit too rose-tinted) view of a dog's unprecedented journey through space. The context provided in the author's follow-up note provides some solace to the realist among you, and the book opens up a number of interesting discussions on the capabilities and limits of animals in their use to the human world. While that line of chatter runs the risk of being preachy, I find that letting my students do the talking can alleviate that threat and provide infinite entertainment and enlightenment.

For You are a Kenyan Child book cover
source
In Kelly Cunane's Deep in the Sahara, we readers get a firm but not condescending lesson in cultural appreciation. The young girl's desire for the malafa that symbolizes her faith and her womanhood is both intriguing and problematic for me. I struggle to remove my western conceptions of her burden from the equation, and I would find it challenging to share this with my students without a profoundly intricate disclaimer-filled preamble. Still, the young girl's admiration for the women in her family and her desire to make those women proud provide both the empowerment I crave and a connection between cultures that is often overlooked. This is a book I will need to read on my own a few more times before I fully understand how to best share it with my students, but it is one I feel certain we should find a place for in the modern child's library.

Brush of the Gods
source

In Brush of the Gods, Lenore Look and Meilo So give us a unique and artful take on a legend. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is lovely and mysterious. While some of my younger readers may have difficulty with the length, I can assure them that their patience will pay off as the Brush brings art to life. It would be a great book from which to design an art project or to simply draw creative energy and inspiration. 

Tweak Tweak

Okay, so this one's not a preview. Jules lets me peruse through her collection of classics as well for the work of such renowned artists as Mr. Sergio Ruzzier with which I was embarrassingly unfamiliar. The words and art play off each other nicely, and themes of family and the parent-child bond come through gracefully. It's a quick read that explores the realities of limitations and encourages the child's curiosity.

***Disclaimer: It occurs to me that this list I am creating may be misinterpreted as a list of recommendations. Let me be clear. The books I highlight in each post are ones I find particularly moving/. believe would be particularly popular with my students. Others may fall anywhere from wonderful to dreadful (though I have been pleasantly surprised by the limited presence of the latter). If I have failed to do so in the past, I must warn you: Not all books are good. Read with caution.***


Now, the list goes on...

35. Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me, Daniel Beaty
36. Laika, Astronaut Dog, Written and Illustrated by Owen Davey
37. Deep in the Sahara, Written by Kelly Cunane, Illustrated by Hodi Hadadi
38. Brush of the Gods, Written by Lenore Look, Illustrated by Meilo So
39. Tweak, Tweak, Written by Eve Bunting, Illustrated by Sergio Ruzzier
40. Penguin Cha-Ch, Written and Illustrated by Kristi Valiant
41. Kee Kee's Big Adventures in Paris, Written by Shannon Janes, Illustrated by Casey Uhelski
42. Gifts ofthe Heart, Written and Illustrated by Patricia Polacco
43. Caterina and the Perfect Party, Written and Illustrated by Erin Eitter Kono
44. Henry's Rap, Written and Illustrated by David Elliot
45. Ghost in the House, Written by Ammi-Joan Paquett, Illustrated by Adam Record
46. Romping Monsters, Stomping Monsters, Written by Jane Yolen, Illustrated by Kelly Murphy
47. An Otis Christmas, Written and Illustrated by Lauren Long
48. Cute and Cuter, Written and Illustrated by Michael Townsend
49. The Bear's Song, Written and Illustrated by Bejamin Chaud
50. Good Night, Sleep Tight, Written by Mem Fox, Illustrated by Judy Horacek

You can also comment below or add me on Goodreads to see my ratings and share your recs!

No comments:

Post a Comment