Thursday, July 25, 2013

Following Recs and Finding the Right Fit

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
source

This summer, the brilliant minds of the UTK picture book class have opened me up to some wonderful new authors and illustrators. Leo and Diane Dillon have been a romantic and creative pair for many years, and I have noticed their work in the past. Here, they team up with story teller Verna Aardema to bring a legend to life for readers of any age. I have sifted through some other works by Verna Aardema as well, and I am excited to bring her unique perspective into my classroom.

The Retired Kid
source

After some high recommendations from the folks in the picture book class, I decided to sit down and get myself acquainted with Jon Agee- and his sense of humor was not over-sold. The Retired Kid embraces frivolity and absurdity while maintaining a deep connection to the child's emotional state. It reminds us of the privilege of relaxation, but also the importance of working toward something.

Three Little Kittens
source 

Jerry Pinkney has made the Caldecott list more than a few times in recent decades, and his artwork never ceases to impress. This story does not have his usual depth, but the illustrations are captivating and the words have an easy flow. While Pinkney certainly has some stronger pieces, I will be happy to have this one on my shelf.

Move!
source

This book is my first by creative team Steve Jenkins and Robin Page, bringing a smooth and simple text together with muted tones of illustration to create a rich narrative about animals and their complex movements. The book provides a great opportunity to explore animal movements and play the roles of those animals in motion.

These works act as a highlight reel from some of the wonderful authors and works I have found this summer. I am so grateful for the recommendations of the class and am looking forward to continuing my quest to build a mental and physical library. These are great works for use across the curriculum- mentor texts in the writing center, small and large group explorations of concepts about print, and introductions to scientific, social/ emotional and cultural connections units.

No comments:

Post a Comment